Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fabric Stores in Switzerland


I am back! My 3 week visit to Switzerland was oh-so-wonderful, but it's good to be home! I found several fabric stores in Switzerland, but truthfully, I could not afford to buy much. (Along with the Alps, prices are STEEP in Switzerland! Ha, ha, that's a joke, and you're supposed to laugh.)




This store was in Zurich.... Look at the zipper collection! I was amazed at the selection. Oh, and the fabric was all so luscious....you can imagine how excited I was. See the purple bolt of print fabric in the next picture? I bought one meter of it---will show you pictures later---and I
only paid 34 francs per meter, yes, mucho expensivo. Think of it as paying $34 per yard. But in defense of my splurge, I really did HAVE to have some fabric from Switzerland, and it is purple (my new favorite color), and it is a lovely knit with a soft drape, and I LOVE IT! Betcha can't wait to see pictures, huh? (another post on another day....)



Another fabric store I visited was in Luzern, and oh, you should have seen the beautiful knit and corduroy fabrics there. The fabrics were wonderful, but I resisted the temptation to buy any.
Oh, at the suggestion of a Sew Chic reader, I visited another fabric shop that was fairly close to my daughter's apartment in Zurich. Apropos had rolls and rolls of fabric, more than any other fabric shop I'd been to. Again, I resisted the urge to buy.... Thank you, Alvertern, for telling me about Apropos. Yes, I had a good time in Zurich!

Alvertern said:
A beautiful Fabrik Store in Zürich
Apropos
Holhlstrasse 201
in Zürich

Ich wünsche eine gute Zeit in Zürich!


(Hilco fabric? at the shop in Luzern)


While I was in Switzerland, I didn't have time to miss sewing. We stayed busy with sightseeing, climbing the Alps, shopping, and visiting museums. Oh, and I spent a lot of time (but never enough!) loving on my sweet granddaughter. It's good to see my daughter and her husband so happy together. This last picture is of my grandbaby and me standing on top of the world (so it seemed!) in the Alps.

Ruth



9 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to travel to Switzerland to visit with your daughter and her husband and spend some time with your sweet grandbaby. I wouldn't of miss sewing either.
    Beautiful pic of you and the grandbaby with the Alps in the background. I bet it was absolutely breathtaking to see it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous time you had and how fun to see Ottobre fabrics (aka Hilco) in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful baby, beautiful view! I just moved back to the U.S. from living in Germany. I had to severely limit my fabric store visits there since everything was so expensive (but so gorgeous!) :-) I'm happy to be back in the land of JoAnns and easy online ordering. So glad you got to see your beautiful granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! It sounds like you had a remarkable visit! Love the last pic with the Alps in the background. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home, sounds like you had such an incredible time. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the fabric stores, all those zippers are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love to get to switzerland some day! and those stores look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Zurich accompanying my husband on a business trip and was happy to find recommendations on fabric stores. I dragged my boys (ages 2 and 7) to the Bernina store this morning, but they wouldn't let me do too much browsing. With those prices, I guess it was a good thing! I did purchase one piece (quickly!)--as you say, I can't leave Switzerland without at least one piece of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there. By chance, do you know where they offer any sewing classes in Lucerne, Switzerland? If so, when are they offered? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been to Apropos once but forgot the name and the street. Thank you for the reminder, heading there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete