Friday, January 17, 2014

Ottobre Cap Sleeve Pinafore Dress

Ottobre Cap Sleeve Pinafore Dress
Design #21 from the 6/2013 issue

The fabric is not the best for this pattern, but my sweet daughter really wanted a dress from this corduroy print, and I really wanted to sew something quick and easy for her to wear to her piano recital in December.  The busy print pretty much obscures the design elements of the top stitched seams, the drop waist seams, the skirt panels, and the mock pocket flaps in the front.  Other than that, I love the dress on Em.  She has worn the dress often, so I know she loves it too.

It was a cold, snowy day when I took the photos.  I have no idea what to do with my camera, especially on a bright snowy day.  (One of these days, I will learn!)  Poor child of mine was so cold, but she was a good sport. 



The dress is fully lined as you can see from the following picture.  This makes a quick and easy finish for the armhole and neck edges.  No facings or binding to mess with! 
 
I made a size 128 (US size 7,8) for Emily, and lengthened it several inches.  The pattern does go up to a size 146, and I can see myself making this pattern again with a solid colored fabric in the future.  Other than lengthening, the only other change I made was to interface the fabric along the edge where the invisible zipper was inserted. 



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! Couldn't have turned out any cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I think it matters more that she likes it so much and wears it often, than that the design is showcased! I have made several things that my daughter cries if I try to get her to wear, and there's no fun in that! :) She even hid a piece from her apron dress I made her, so that she wouldn't have to wear it. Tricky little girl. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a cute dress. Good to see you sewing again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute dress! The print is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling! It looks great layered off leggings and a long sleeved shirt.

    ReplyDelete