Saturday, May 23, 2015

Ottobre Woman "Faded Stripes" Top 2/2015

Did I mention that I feel like sewing again?!!  I've spent the last several years knitting and knitting, but would you believe, I have not knitted a stitch in over 2 months?! I've crocheted edgings on a few baby blankets, but no knitting.  (Really, I should finish up a few projects before putting them aside).

This time I made a t-shirt for me instead of sewing for Emily. The pattern is from the 02/2015 issue of Ottobre Design Woman, and really, it is a very simple top but with big appeal to me.  I like how the t-shirt is fitted at top but is loose through the middle and hip areas.  I also like how the pattern has shoulder yokes to add a bit of interest.  I have plans to make another one soon in which I add a bit of lace fabric to the shoulder yokes.


The shirt fits great.  If I can get somebody around here to take a photo, I'll post one of me wearing it.

The Pattern:  Design #17 from the 02/2015 issue of Ottobre Woman
Fabric:  Rayon Jersey Knit
Size: 36
Changes:  I took out an inch from the shoulder area, a "petite"adjustment I often have to make to eliminate excess fabric in the upper bust/shoulder area.


  (These two photos are from the Ottobre magazine.)



9 comments:

  1. Looks great! I like the fabric you chose.

    I never thought about taking from the shoulder area. Most petite adjustments on patterns are below the bust, but that makes more sense. What happens to the sleeve though (when there is one)? How do you adjust for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, years ago I noticed in both RTW garments and those I sewed for myself that if I could pinch out an inch or several inches from the shoulders, the garment would be a better fit. Literally, I would grab the garment at the shoulders while I was wearing it, pull upwards, and voila, the garment fit everywhere so much better. The neckline no longer drooped, and the excess fabric in the upper bust was gone. (This often raised the neckline to an appropriate place for me, too).

    So I learned to do this when I sewed. In a garment with sleeves, I would often times (but not always) need to lower the armholes the same measurement I took out from the shoulders. Usually I use the originally pattern piece as the template. I hope this makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a fellow petite sewer, this requires a narrow upper bust adjustment. Best found by googling and following instructions that require slashing the pattern and pivoting. Solves the issue of pulling rtw clothes up by two incephes and still not working. Hope this helps :)

      Delete
    2. I'll check it out, thank you. What I've done seems to work, but I'm always open to learning the correct method to do things.

      Delete
  3. Great T. I really love the print. Nice to see your sewing projects again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trudy! It's good to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. Really great shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! Love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete