Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cowpoke Bag


From several old pairs of jeans and the scraps leftover from the Cowpoke quilt, I made a zippered bag for Jessica. I like the bag so much that I've already cut out another with different fabric. This bag measures approximately 11" × 7" × 4" and would make a great purse or tote bag for a take-along knitting or sewing project.

The pattern I used was Vogue 8098. I like the fact that this bag has a top zipper closure and also a side pocket with a zipper. I did not put the cell phone pocket on the strap, and I added an extra pocket to the back side. If you look closely, you can see a snap in the center of the pocket binding. I just love my snap press (it's not just for diapers)!



The pattern instructions called for cardboard in the bottom of the bag, but because I wanted the bag to be washable I used a piece of plastic canvas instead. I don't think the plastic canvas is stiff enough for my liking, however. Can anybody tell me of a washable alternative to cardboard that would provide the stiffness of cardboard?

Ruth



the finished bag



Vogue 8098

7 comments:

  1. Totally cute! It looks fantastic, you did a super job. I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth,

    That bag is adorable!!!! You did such a great job!!!

    I also have used plastic canvas for the bottom of bags. I like that it is washable, but it really isn't stiff enough. I am not sure of other washable alternatives....I'm anxious to see if anyone else knows of any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd try either TRIMEX (not sure about the spelling but it's in the interfacing section) or multiple layers of fusible heavy craft weight interfacing adhered to matching fabric and make a fabric covering for the plastic canvas. Play around with some scraps to find the combination that works for you.

    Hope it helps. The bag is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice comments. When I do my second bag I'll try the trimtex interfacing and let you know how it works. I have the second bag cut out, ready to go!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw, I just looked it up and it's "timtex" instead of "trimtex." Now I know what to look for when I go to purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your cowpoke bag, it is so very retro-cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hi-
    I have just discovered your wonderful blog! I've had a great time looking through your completed projects - very inspiring~

    ReplyDelete