Ottobre 03/2009 Design #1 "Cecile Blouse"
When I first saw this pattern in the newest issue of Ottobre, I liked it for the shirring on the front. I've only shirred with elastic thread two times previously, with good results, and so I was excited to make this top.
if you make this pattern, know that there is a discrepancy between the written instructions and the pattern drawing lines for the shirring, and thus avoid the confusion I had.
The instructions say to "stitch the rows of shirring as marked on the pattern" and then, "stitch topmost row of shirring close to the neck edge." The pattern marking show the first row of shirring an inch or so below the neck edge, and that's where I started my shirring. However, the first row of shirring really does need to be close to the neck edge, which I found out when I went to attach the neck binding. To fix the problem, I ran a gathering row of stitches close to the neckline before attaching the neck binding. This helped, but there is an area right under the neckband that is gathered puffy instead of tightly like the shirring below.
I added a ribbon bow to the center front, partly to cover up the lack of shirring at that spot, but also because I felt the top needed a bit of pizazz. I really wanted to put a big red flower button there, but after searching for one in 3 stores, I gave up and added the ribbon. The fabric for the top is a jersey knit from Hobby Lobby.
The red shorts are design #7 from the 03/2008 Ottobre issue, and I have made them one other time in pink camo fabric. These red shorts are made from red twill and topstitched with white upholstery thread.
I have another play outfit and one more church dress planned for Emily, and then I want to do some sewing for my older girls and for me. We'll see how it goes. Now that school is about finished for the summer I hope to have more time to sew.
more pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/callmeruth/