Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Comfortable as an Old Pair of Jeans



Yes, this bag was recycled from a pair of old, comfortable jeans. I loved the shabby chic rose fabric that I recently used in a pink baby quilt, and I knew I had to use the fabric scraps in this bag. The way the faded denim contrasts nicely with the rose fabric delights me. :-)

I started out using Vogue pattern 8098 but I made several modifications along the way. This pattern was not an easy one, and I even found a mistake in the instructions--it is impossible to turn the purse strap right sides out if constructed according to the order given in the pattern directions. Although the pattern was difficult, I am pleased with the end result. The bag has a zippered pocket on one outer side and a pocket with a pale pink snap on the other side. I added another zippered pocket to the inside as well. One can never have enough pockets in a bag!


When I first started sewing this purse, I originally intended to use it as a small diaper bag for Emily. However, since Emily should soon be out of diapers, I think I may use it for a purse or a knitting bag instead. Or I may list it at Etsy. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but in the meantime I'm going to enter it in the Bag Month contest at sewmamasew.com.

happy sewing, Ruth




4 comments:

  1. Ruth,

    If you put it in your etsy shop, I want it!!! Will you let me know if you do decide to sell it?

    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your right, the fabrics are so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a gift for coordinating your fabrics so well and this purse is no exception. It is very nice purse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful! I love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete