Monday, July 16, 2007

The Dorothy Bag



I think I'm on a purse kick--sewing them, that is. The funny thing is that I'm still using my boring, old, brown leather purse that I used all last winter. Tomorrow I purpose to clean out my purse and move the stuff over to my new handbag---the Amy Butler "Dorothy" purse!

This project was so fun to sew! I've found the AB patterns to be a bit tedious in the instructions, but I love their style. I sewed this bag as instructed, but I added a magnetic snap instead of a velcro closure. I only wish I had also added a pocket to the interior. I can never have enough pockets in a purse, and so I made a matching zippered pouch to use as a detachable "pocket."

The fabrics I used came from my stash. If I recall, the interior fabric is from Amy Butler's Ginger Bliss line. I'm not sure about the outer fabric, though. To give the bag more stiffness, I did use an inner lining of heavy cotton twill. I like how this inner lining adds just a bit more weight to the purse but yet allows it to retain its softness.

Simply, I like everything about this bag!
Ruth





I think this pattern may be discontinued. At least I can't find it on the Amy Butler website.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute!!! You are on a roll!

    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 18, 2007

    the fabrics you used are lovely! enjoy your new bag!

    love, lexi

    ReplyDelete