Sunday, July 01, 2007

Organizing my Fabric


I have needed shelves in my sewing room closet ever since I moved in there, and yesterday I finally got a unit! I am so excited! Okay, it's not the prettiest thing, but it will hold a lot of fabric. After checking prices on closet shelving at Lowes, I thought this shelf was relatively cheap when I saw it at Sam's.

This afternoon I started going through my fabric stash which has been in plastic containers for at least 6 years. I worked a good number of hours, and I haven't reached the end yet. I've gone through most of the woven cottons and cotton blends, but I've only just started the knits and dress fabrics. I haven't yet touched the fleece and bottom-weights.

I don't think it's all going to fit on the shelves.

Purge, purge, purge....that's what I must do.

Oh, I must tell you about the fabric folding method I used. I first read about this in a library book by Lois Hallock, and then I recently came across it again on a few other blogs. Basically, I folded the fabric around a 6.5 inch ruler to make nice even (well, sort of even) piles of fabric. Instead of me trying to explain it, just go to the happy zombie blog for a nice tutorial.

After all the fabric folding, I'm tired, but sooooo excited to think that I may finally be getting a
little organized in my sewing room!

goodnight!
Ruth

4 comments:

  1. Shelves in the closet! Happy thought indeed! ;o)

    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, I forgot to say how wonderful it looks! It is so nice to be able to picture your room.

    Love,Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 04, 2007

    Oh I love the way it looks... so neat... and I love to peak in other sewing rooms... mine needs some organizing too... I am still working on it... smile...

    Warm regard from Germany

    Andrea

    www.myblog.de/naehmaus

    ReplyDelete
  4. first time at your blog...delightful...love the ladybug pincushion...so cute..I will be back.
    Deby

    ReplyDelete