I've actually been using this diaper bag for about 5 months now, but I'm just now getting around to posting about it. When I was starting to sew it, I couldn't find many pictures or reviews of this pattern, so I wanted to be sure and share it here for future diaper bag sewers.
Butterick 4560. Overall this pattern was well written and easier to follow then I thought it would be. I went slowly and followed each step. One major issue is that the directions don't have you put on the velcro to close it till the very last step. At that point I had to sew through all layers of the top flap to attach the velcro. It doesn't look too bad, but if you didn't want your stitches showing on the front of the bag, then the velcro should be attached to the flap lining before the flap is sewn onto the bag.
I made a few major changes. I thought the bag looked a bit tall for my tastes, so I cut off two inches from the height. That was a bit of work because I had to take off two inches from almost every pieces including the lining pieces and most of the pockets.
The pattern called for fusible fleece to add body and stabilize the bag. I didn't want the puffiness of fleece, so I used a heavy canvas instead(part of an old mail bag I got from a garage sale, actually). Because I couldn't fuse the canvas like the fusible fleece, I basted it to the wrong side of the outer pieces before I began to construct the bag. I then treated those pieces as one.
I liked the effect the canvas gave it, but next time I wouldn't use quite as thick and heavy of canvas...it was extremely hard to sew through the multiple layers even with my Pfaff machine. I did use the sz. 100 needle and that helped, but it was still tricky, and my seams across the top of the bag aren't as neat as I normally like.
The handle was way too long. I shortened it and I omitted the handle pad as I thought it was unnecessary for this size of bag.
I love all the pockets! They have been great. I did use fusible interfacing to give body to the one outside pocket with the flap. It turned out great. For the base of the bag I actually stitched two layers of peltex to the bottom lining piece, then sewed the lining together and continued as normal. I did also have a layer of my canvas sewn to the outer base piece, so the bottom is pretty stable, yet still flexible.
I've been using this bag for 5 months now and it's held up really well and still looks great. I feel quite stylish having a unique bag and fits my personality and needs. I would recommend this pattern, absolutely!