Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Little Green Jacket
I didn't think it was going to happen today, but I actually found time to sew! The little green jacket is just about finished.
My dilemma of how to finish the armhole edges has been resolved. I really liked Summerset's idea of binding the armhole edges, but I did not have enough green fabric for both armhole binding and the band at the bottom of the dress. (BTW, my decision of whether or not to add the green band still has not been determined). So, I searched in a few of my sewing reference books and followed the method for a lined vest as found in Connie Amaden-Crawford's book, A Guide to Fashion Sewing.
This picture shows the jacket front and lining pieces pinned together with the collar sandwiched between. The white lines show where I stitched. The corners were left unsewn until I sewed the side seams.
What complicated this procedure is that there are no true armholes in this pattern. Instead the armholes are part of the side seams. I followed the lined vest instructions as much as possible, but when it came to the armholes, I had to improvise a bit. The completed arm openings ended up nice and smooth, and I am very happy with the finishing.
Here you can see how the armhole openings are in line with the side seams.
The little green jacket looks very sweet on Emily. Now I'm looking forward to starting the matching dress as time permits.