The Summer Sundress is finished! I'll show a few details here, and tomorrow or the next day I will post pictures of Emily wearing the dress.
The placket turned out fine, thanks to Summerset's tutorial and Goosegirl's suggestion to cut the placket on the bias and use Fraycheck at the point.
Well, I just could not decide whether to add a green band to the bottom of the dress or not. I liked it both ways. So instead, I added a 1" band of green, inserted 2 inches up from the hem. I love the way this turned out.
The dress is fully lined with white batiste. The dotted Swiss fashion fabric is somewhat sheer, and with the lining there will be no need for Emily to wear a slip. The dress has its own built-in (rather, sewn-in) petticoat.
This dress is quite full---just think of the twirling that Emily will be able to do in this dress! I didn't use the skirt pattern piece since it is just a rectangle. Instead I just cut a rectangle using the full width of the fabric, assuming it was 45" wide. I was wrong--the fabric was approx. 58-60" wide because the skirt measures at a whopping 114" wide! A lot of twirling potential!
The dress looks lovely on Emily, and I can't wait to take pictures tomorrow.
Okay, I'm off to practice my oboe---band concert on Thursday in Edmond. If you're in the area, it's going to be a fun concert of patriotic music and free watermelon and icecream afterwards.