Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cross Front Nightgown



I bought this fabric some time ago with the intention of making Emily a summer night gown. Well, summer will soon be over, and I finally sewed the nightgown! I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a fast sewist. :)

Pattern: Cross-Front T-Shirt; Ottobre 03/04 design #9
Fabric: Lightweight jersey knit from Hobby Lobby; the neck binding is knit ribbing.
Pattern sizes: 62-110; I made the size 104 for 4-year-old Em.

The nightgown started out as a t-shirt pattern, but I lengthened the side seams in an A-line cut and curved the hemline slightly. The sleeve hems and bottom hemline are finished with lettuce edging. This is only the second time ever that I've sewn a lettuce edging, and overall I'm pleased with the results. (Pictures are here of the my first attempt at sewing a lettuce edge--the red shirt about 1/2 way down the page). Pamela Erny, from Off-the-Cuff, once gave me detailed instructions for her method of "lettuce-ing," and really, I wonder why I don't do more of this edge finish. I'm sure my edges will never look as good as Pam's, though!

I plan on using this pattern to make several tops for Emily. The design with the cross-over front was fun to sew--and easier, in my opinion, than sewing a plain round neck with binding.

Thanks for reading,
Ruth


Ottobre 03/2004 Design #9


5 comments:

  1. I love it! It's so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one lovely nightgown. I showed it to my little girl and she immediately made me promise to make her a nightgown too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I though it was a dress until I read your post. Lettuce edging really just makes a any piece of fabric look so feminine. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth...your "lettuce" is beautiful!

    ..and thanks for the compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's done! Very cute, bet Emmy loves it. :-)

    (oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!)

    ReplyDelete