Sunday, July 12, 2009

Purple 2-Piece


The day before a trip to Illinois with my older girls, I decided to take 4-year-old Emily with us. She didn't have a swimsuit, so I pulled out my Ottobre magazines and made her one. I used two patterns to create a 2-piece tankini top and "boy leg" bottoms. I like this type of bottoms because it provides more coverage than a traditional swimsuit. The fabric was bought about 3 years ago from Joann's. I highly recommend this style of swimsuit if you want something more modest than most swimsuits and if you want a 2-piece for ease of dressing and toilet breaks.

The tankini top is design #20 from the 02/2004 issue of Ottobre. It is a size 104, modified by lengthening the pattern and leaving off the bottom half. A ruffle is attached to the hemline.

The swimsuit bottom is design #35 from the same magazine issue. The pattern is actually for boys' swim trunks, but it works just as well for girls. I made no modifications to the swim trunk pattern.

I've always been a bit apprehensive about sewing swimwear, but after sewing this size 4 suit I realize it wasn't too difficult. I might just be able to try a more challenging swimsuit pattern someday.

Ruth


9 comments:

  1. Cute swimsuit! Isn't wonderful to know how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I like that it's far more modest than some suits I've seen for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little ruffle at the bottom of of the top.

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your work. It is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the photos with the rest of us. CE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much better than any RTW you can buy and super cute! Good thinking and great sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very, cute! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I would like to try to sew a swimsuit, but I am a newbie. Maybe next summer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 15, 2009

    awesome job! Love Ottobre! I finally got my subscription!!

    Captain Momma

    ReplyDelete
  9. That swim suit looks lovely! I like it when little girls don't show too much skin. I bet she had a wonderful time swimming in it, didn't she?

    ReplyDelete