Wednesday, July 22, 2009
This top is Jalie 2794, the "Sweetheart Top." I intended to make it for myself, but it just didn't work out for me---too small, and it was binding through the arms. All was not lost, however because the top fits Katie, and best of all, she likes it. So... Katie has a new top. :)
I think the reason the top was too tight on me is due to my fabric choice: a cotton-lycra knit with lots of stretch. I should have gone up another size or two. To make it fit Katie, I did have to take in the side seams another inch.
Construction changes: The Jalie instructions called for hemming the cap sleeves by 5/8". Ick. Double-ick, pressing and stitching a curved hemline. Instead, I made a band just like the neckline band and I sewed it on the sleeve hem. I like the look, and it was so easy to sew.
Also, based on reviews I read at Pattern Review, I raised the neckline by one inch.
I do hope to make this top again--but next time for me. I like the design details. Perhaps I'll try it in a not-as-stretchy knit next time.
Thanks for reading!