I can't believe I'm making little girl undies. And I can't believe how easy-peasy they are to make. The pattern pieces are just the right size of small to use up fabric scraps; you may recognize the recent outfit I made. 100% cotton knit. Double thick just where it's needed. Soft. And did I mention how easy they are to sew? You can bet I'll be making more....this little girl of mine goes through about 5 a day!
I made size 2; The pattern goes up through a size 8 and also includes a boy version.
Changes I made:
I encased the front and back crotch seam so that no seams are exposed. In Kat's pattern, the front crotch seam is serged and left exposed.
I added elastic in the waistband casing. Kat suggests using a knit with lyra and does not call for elastic. My knit is 100% cotton, and I'm not sure if the stretch recovery will be enough . It was very simple to add elastic to the waist casing.
Next time I may use FOE (foldover elastic) or even a soft undergarment elastic instead of the knit bands at the legs and waist.
This morning I tried the panties on E. and the fit is perfect! The leg bands are snug but not binding. The waist band is just right and I'm so glad I added the elastic to the waist.