Saturday, March 20, 2010

Birthday Gift

Last week when I wrote about a flopped top I was making for my niece's first birthday, several of you asked to see the fabric. Mom even had a few good suggestions for fixing it, but after I let it sit for a couple days I decided to remake it into something completely different.

I cut ruffles off of the top, took the hems out (yes, I do a lot of ripping out too!) and fashioned the ruffles into a simple tiered skirt with an elastic waist. I was really happy that I didn't end up wasting too much of the fabric after all.

Then I bought a plain white 12mo shirt at Walmart and appliqued a simple flower on it. Viola...it's an outfit!





The hat was from the original pattern I was using. It came out huge...seriously, it fits my 3 year old. Oh well...it will fit her someday!


Jessica

4 comments:

  1. This outfit is so, so cute. You're an awesome auntie! What technique did you use for the applique? Did you use iron on adhesive stuff or some other method? I just did something kind of similar for my son's birthday using steam a seam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute fabrics. they are so happy and springy. So glad you were able to salvage the fabric and make the outfit work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this outfit! You turned something bad into something good! I'm glad it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent refashion - very cute and nice way to salvage something.

    ReplyDelete