Saturday, July 10, 2010

Little Honey Placket

Yesterday I started sewing the dress that I'm calling the "Little Honey Dress." The main fabric is called "little honey" and I hope it's going to be one honey of a dress for my little 5 year old honey. :) (Yes, I'm being goofy, but hey, that's okay, right?) The coordinating fabric is "village path" and both fabrics are cotton voile, made by Anna Maria Horner.


I love the ruffle on the Ottobre blouse, but instead of turning the blouse pattern into a dress, I decided to just add the ruffle to another pattern, the Jump Rope dress pattern by Oliver+S.


I didn't make much progress on the dress yesterday, but I started the placket. Because I've never sewn this type of placket ever before, I decided to take pictures of my progress in case it may be of help to somebody else. At first, I thought the placket would be confusing and complicated; but I followed the instructions step-by-step and it really wasn't difficult at all. So---here are the pictures:

Bodice Front: Placket placement;
the bodice front is not cut open until after the placket pieces are sewn in place. This picture shows the markings that are to be placed at the center front of the bodices.


Ruffle Pieces: sewn, turned, pressed, gathered, and then basted to the center front. The ruffles were cut on the bias.


Placket Pieces: The ruffles are sandwiched between the bodice front and the placket pieces. The plackets pieces are sewn to the bodice and then the center front is cut opened.



I didn't have time to finish pressing and sewing everything in place, but this last picture gives you an idea of what the dress front will look like. I can't wait to get back to it!

More pictures at this Flickr set.

7 comments:

  1. I love that fabric. It's gorgeous. And I really looovveee that ruffle!!!

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that! I bet it is going to be gorgeous. That voile is so soft. Post more pics when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like it's going to be beautiful! I love the fabric.
    http://silverrosesewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! Cute! Cute! It's going to be so adorable. Love the pattern and fabric. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to have found this blog. It's so inspiring and beautifully done. Thank you for creating such a treasure! I hope it'll motivate me to get going on my own sewing. And that outfit is precious. I can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete