Tuesday, April 10, 2012

New Look 6648


I'm so excited about my new top....it's totally different than anything I've ever worn, but I love it.

I've seen this pattern reviewed on various sewing blogs, most recently Lori's blog. I have liked all Lori's versions but wasn't sure if the style would suit me. I bought the pattern anyway, but procrastinated making it. The deciding factor to sew it up was when Jessica bought me a ready-to-wear top of a similar style, and I found that I really liked it
...a big surprise to me, because I didn't think I would. This style works well to hide my "I've had seven babies" midsection (ie, no waist, and a fluffy tummy).

Pattern changes on my version:

  • I made the armhole/sleeve to be a higher cut.

  • Next, because I did not want the neckline to be too loose, I moved in my center fold (to make it smaller) by 1/2" on both front and back pieces, taking out a full inch from both front and back. I added an extra 1/2 inch to each side seam at both the bodice and the waistband to accommodate my midsection.
  • I reduced the width of the neckband. The pattern is 2 inches wide; I cut my neckband to 1 and 1/2 inches wide and applied it as instructed. I like the narrow band better.

  • The instructions call for gathering the waistband side seams before sewing them together. Instead, I sewed the side seams and then used clear elastic in the seam allowances to gather the sides. Using clear elastic worked quite well.




On another note, I have waaaayyyy too much hair and it's driving me crazy.  Any ideas of how I should cut it?  If I go too short it will stick out in a frizzy, fluffy bush, lol.  So I definitely need a haircut--but don't know what I want. Seriously, if you have hair style suggestions for thick wavy hair that's not curly but not straight, let me know. 

Ruth

19 comments:

  1. What a great top! I think the changes you've made to it make it even better than the one on the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a great top!! I have this top on my "to-do" list, as I have seen wonderful versions of it popping up all around blogland. Your version is stellar!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, excellent job! Do you think this top would work if the material was less stretchy? i'm afraid i'm still not competent with sewing stretchy material!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem with my hair and was thinking the same thing thing this morning. I usually have it tied back most of the time so I was thinking I might try a fringe so it's not so dramatic when it's pulled back. Personally I think your hair looks lovely but I know what it feels like when you've got such a lot of it keep under control. Can't wait to see what you decide.

    I love your top as well it's fits you sew well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this top looks fantastic on you and the color is divine. I've made several knit tops out of this type of pattern and I love every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your version is perfect! I love the color and the look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful new top! It's so fun to try a new style and be really happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't have a fluffy tummy!

    This top looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the top, very nice. As for your hair, you might try finding the Curly Girl book. Another idea is to have it thinned when you get it cut.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I have a poufy hair day, I use a light leave in conditioner. I just put on a tiny bit where it's crazy, not all over my whole head. Rachel was the one who gave me this tip. She used to have poufy hair and with all her long curly locks, she had some serious poufy going on!! I have used a leave-in conditioner by Fructis and also one by Loreal--EverPure sulfate-free Moisture Leave-in Conditioner.
    love and miss you,
    karen nilson

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a really pretty top! It's looks so comfy too. Your hair is beautiful. I would LOVE to have thick locks :) However, I have a daughter who deals with very thick hair (inherited from her father) and she said her solution is to have it thinned and layered to keep it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow--I think I've found my next sewing project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a fab top but a little too advanced for a beginner like me. maybe eventually!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have similar hair... I just had it cut fairly short (still long) just (JUST) past my shoulders (with layers). I either use a straightening iron to straighten (lasts for a few days) or I use 'Curl Keeper' and scrunch in after my shower for curls/waves that don't frizz. (From Curly Hair Solutions). It doesn't go rock hard, so your hair still feels natural. Day after... just spritz with water and rescrunch. Make sure you have lots of shape to your haircut and you'll love it a LOT more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is a fantastic top. The changes really work well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the top, great fit. As for your hair - cut it shoulder length and have your hairdresser layer it, then mousse or gel to keep it from getting frizzy or poufy. You'll have to post a picture with your new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking top. You wear it well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen, Tricia, and Jamie have given some great hair tips that when combined should look great with your hair and square shaped face. Especially do the shoulder length(ends to your collar bone) and add layers to thin. I have naturally curly hair and use most of those for my hair and rarely get the frizzies. BTW I love your blue top.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen, Tricia and Jamie have great tips for your hair that when combined your hair should look great with your square shaped face and wavy hair. Especially do the shoulder length(ends to the collar bone) and the layers to thin it out. I have naturally curly hair and use most of those and hardly get the frizzies. After washing my hair, I add leave-in conditioner, comb to get the tangles out, then add mousse starting at the roots lifting them when applying the mousse then continuing scrunching down to the ends and air dry. Since your hair is wavy, you will need less scrunching. Here's a hairstyle that you may like. http://0.tqn.com/d/beauty/1/5/L/l/jessicabiel2.JPG
    BTW I love the blue top. It looks cute and comfy.

    ReplyDelete