Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cat Skirt



Emily's cat skirt is finished and she's worn it for three days straight!  I think that means she approves, don't you?  The skirt turned out longer than I intended, but that's okay because Emily will get to wear it for years and years.   She may outgrow her cat phase before she outgrows the skirt.

I didn't use a pattern, but for those who care, I'm posting the measurements that I used for each tier.  You can make the tiers any size you want, but the top tier should not be cut excessively wide or you will have too much bulk at the waist. (Of course the top tier does need to be cut wide enough to be pulled easily over the hips).   

(Cut 2 of each strip):
Top tier:  6-1/2" x 20"
Middle tier:  7" x 30"
Bottom tier:  9"x44" (the width of the fabric)

To break up the busyness of the cat print, I cut strips of red fabric and inserted mock piping into each seam between the layers.  I also used the same fabric to bind the hem and for the waistband.  (Mock piping: a folded strip of fabric inserted in a seam but without the bulk of corded piping.)

This piece of fabric has been on my shelf for a lot of years.  I found it interesting that the selvedge edge reads "Daisy Kingdom, 1998."  I probably have had it that long, since 1998!  Oh, and I still have a yard or two remaining....

Happy sewing,
Ruth



13 comments:

  1. It's a very pretty skirt! And you got some great pictures of Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute skirt and how perfect to have a new skirt match your favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sew cute...great job! My daughter would have worn it all week too when she was little.
    Thanks bunches for sharing!
    Toni
    www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute skirt and darling pictures of Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute, love the red mock piping!! She will remember this special skirt for a long time. My mother-in-law still talks about her skirt with the pocket made in the shape of a flower because she loved pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! (the skirt and the model, of course!) And she has already worn it for 3 days straight? She clearly loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful daughter and adorable skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is so adorable!! The red paired up great with the cat material. I am just getting around to unpacking my machine can't wait to get sewing again. What a sweet little girl you have as well ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that first picture of Emily and the cat...Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute fabric - perfect for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very, very cute! I'm sure she will love wearing it for years to come. I'm 62 and have never outgrown my love for cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the red polka dot fabric between the panels-- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete