Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Daisy Dress - Ottobre 3/2015 No. 31

 The simplicity of this dress pattern and its classic style first caught my attention while browsing through the recent Ottobre magazine.  I have been wanting to sew again (it's been forever!) and so decided to have a go at this dress.  Emily chose the fabric from my fabric closet, and off I went....


What you don't notice about this pattern is that it is fully lined.  And see that simple little pleat on the front?  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to fold it, and the instructions weren't much help.  I almost decided to just go with a box pleat, but then suddenly it just all fell into place correctly.

Thankfully, the lining and invisible zipper went together well--and for this, I really liked the Ottobre instructions.  The dress was finished in an evening, and Emily has already worn it to her piano recital.  My little girl is growing up, and I fear she won't want this style of dress much longer.  I really must sew more often for her while she still wants me to. 

The only change I made to the pattern was to add ric-rac to the bodice yoke seam.  I also made a matching ric-rac flower that attaches with a pin.

The design:  Daisy Dress, #31, Ottobre 3/2015
Fabric:  woven cotton
Lining fabric: batiste
Size 134 (US 9 or 10, I think)





  from the Ottobre magazine

5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress. Well done both of you with the dress and fabric choice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You did a great job. And in one evening, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. It was not a difficult pattern (but for that pleat!) so it went together quickly. I did sew the hem the next day after trying it on for length.

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful!

    I was just thinking of you recently, so it was great to see your post pop up in my feed reader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very pretty! It's nice to see you sewing again. I love the dress!

    ReplyDelete