Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ruffled A-Line Skort

A skort, what is a skort? From Wikipedia: "Skorts are essentially skirts with a pair of shorts hidden underneath, though most resemble a pair of shorts with a panel of fabric over the front." There you have it.

I made another skort for Emily. This A-Line Ruffled Skort pattern is the second skort pattern from Cindy at Sew Blessed Designs. I sewed Cindy's first pattern in January and loved it then; I knew that I'd like this pattern, too, and I wasn't disappointed.

The pattern comes in girl sizes 3-10, all sizes in one envelope. The patterns are printed on heavy paper and need to be traced out at the size needed. Note that there are no pattern pieces given for the waistband and ruffles, but the instruction sheet tells how many and what dimensions to use for cutting these pieces.

Cindy's instructions are detailed and easy to follow and have clear, hand-drawn illustrations. The only two things I found missing that would be helpful to beginning sewers are (1) a diagram showing the pattern layout, and (2) instructions or a diagram showing which direction the waistband and ruffle pieces should be cut--lengthwise, cross grain, or bias (for the ruffles?).

Fabric: For the skirt I used a lightweight denim with appliqued/embroidered flowers, left over from my skirt. The shorts underneath are made from broadcloth.

Changes I made: The pattern gives the option for front hip pockets--a wonderful detail that I typically like. Because of the bulk of my fabric (I'd have to cut around the flowers), I left off the pockets. The only other change I made was to not sew in the slits at the shorts side seams.

Conclusion: This is another pattern that I will use again and again. I like that so many sizes come in one envelope for one price, from toddler size 3 to girls size 10. And there are so many options for different looks--ruffle, pockets, shorts--put them on or leave them off. I would like to sew this pattern again in a pretty floral fabric for a completely different look. Or perhaps in a soft corduroy for this coming fall....

Emily was in bed for the night when I decided to make this skort, and I guessed on the size, making a size 6. I really should have made a size 5 because the size 6 is fuller and longer on Emily than I really like. But she'll grow, right? So it's all okay. :)

The front: Sweet Emily is standing in front of my husband's garden, which by the way, is doing great this year.

The back-- don't you love the ruffles?!! I do.


We match! Okay, maybe a bit corny, but I don't mind and Emily doesn't mind, so let us be. :) Just don't ask one of my older daughters if they would like us to wear matching skirts. You know what they'd say---a resounding "NO!" I'm sure it won't be too many years and Emily will feel the same as her big sisters....

happy sewing,


15 comments:

  1. I love it with the ruffles.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya'll look adorable in your matching skorts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the matching skirts! So cute and with slides and swings the shorts under the skirt are perfect! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute, I love skorts too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! She's the cutest thing. I just did the matching thing with my six year old girl. Enjoy it while you can (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling skort and the ruffles are a perfect touch. I like your matching skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I just started on my own denim skirt (with a ruffle) which I will hopefully finish and post about tomorrow. :)

    http://silverrosesewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your review. The skort is adorable and y'all look so sweet matching. I'll have to check the pattern out...just yesterday, my oldest daughter told me she needed more skorts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a greta skirt! I just made similar skirts and didn;t know to refer to them as skorts! great name, great skort!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great pattern! Very nice skort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sewing and your skirts are very sweet. I haven't sewn many skirts but I bet they are fun.

    Pam
    kirkskornerathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This skirt is very cute. It doesn't even look too big

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth....it came out adorable!!! And I love that you both have matching skirts!!! Thanks for the great review too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I'll have to check out that pattern because my girls love skorts. And if I embroider some doggies on the skort, well, they'll be in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJuly 06, 2010

    So nice, Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete